Search

The Serpent Woman's Justice

Part 3 of my 'Justice Series' on Sulekha.
The Serpent Woman's Justice by Rajiv Ramaratnam on Sulekha

He saw her silhouette behind the curtain. He could make out her perfect hourglass figure, the slim waist, the shapely breasts. He moved slowly in her direction, savoring each second, prolonging his desire. Gently, he pushed away the curtain and extended a hand. As she took it, he pulled her close to him. His arms enveloped her in a hard embrace as his lips covered hers. With one sudden move, she moved her head up and quickly bit into his lower lip. He pushed her away, wincing in pain. Blood dripped from his mouth onto his silk kurta (a long shirt). Still in shock, he looked at her face for the first time. Her eyes were green. He remembered those eyes from a long time ago. That was his final thought as he slowly slipped to the floor...

*****************
“Why must I spare your life, woman?” asked Chanakya, King Chandragupta's trusted advisor, looking at the ravishing damsel in chains with a mixture of rage and fascination. “You have killed an officer of this court, an officer who has served this throne for several years.”

She looked back, almost defiantly. Her emerald green eyes met his. “An officer that this court could do without, my lord,” she replied, her voice firm like steel.

Before Chanakya could reprimand her for insolence, she went on. “This man was a drunkard, a womanizer and a murdering fiend. He was cruel and abused women.”

“She is right about his drinking and womanizing,” Chanakya thought. Mahadev's vices were well known. Several times he had showed up in court drunk or with a hangover.

“Did you say `murdering fiend'?” he asked, unsure if he had heard her correctly.

“Yes, my lord,” she said. “The man killed the most valuable person in my life.”

Even if her accusations were true, who was this mere courtesan to take the law into her own hands?

Aloud, he said, “A crime such as yours is punishable and will be punished by death.”

“Please hear me out, my lord, for I have some information that will interest you. It concerns the future of this kingdom itself. If you spare my life, I will share it all with you.”

Chanakya was amused. What information did a mere woman have that could be so important? Even a man of Chanakya's wisdom was astounded by the human instinct for survival.

He examined her. How vulnerable she looked in those shackles. A lesser man would have given in, mesmerized by her hypnotic eyes. Chanakya was too spiritually advanced to be conquered by emotion.

“Regardless of what you tell me, your fate will be the same,” he said, his voice cold as ice.

Her flawless face finally showed some signs of fear. “At least, allow me to tell you my story,” she said, as a tear rolled down her cheek. “I could have escaped last night. I stayed believing in your sense of justice.”

“Go on,” Chanakya said. “I want to know how one could kill so viciously. I want to know how this crime was committed. Finally, I also want to know how such an act can be justified.”

Mahadev's servant had told Chanakya that his master was found dead this morning. This woman, who now stood before him, Chanakya, had made no attempt to flee the scene. Chanakya knew how the crime was done. He just wanted to hear her confession.

The maiden began her story. “I was born in poverty in a family that lived on the outskirts of the town. My father was a carpenter and my mother took care of my younger brother and me. When I was five years old, my father suddenly passed away. He was always sick, as far as I could remember. We were on the brink of starvation. Nanda Maharaj did little to help the poor.”

Chanakya knew this well. The wicked Nanda was a disgrace to all Kshatriyas (king/warrior clan) and deserved to be killed. Chanakya had strategically planned his downfall and had placed the noble Chandragupta on the throne.

She went on. “In desperation, my mother became a dancer and an entertainer for officials serving under Nanda Maharaj. All of a sudden, we had abundance in our lives for the first time. We wore good clothes and had enough to eat. We thanked God for the good fortune He had given us. One day, my mother had a new visitor. It was Mahadev. He visited every day. Slowly, we began to see his darker side. He started beating my mother. When my mother asked him never to return, he just handed her a necklace of rubies. He continued to give her expensive gifts. Seduced by his charms, she began to perform lewd acts to satisfy his perverted pleasures. He would tie her up, whip her, punch and kick her.

“One day, my brother and I were woken up by my mother's blood curdling screams. Mahadev told us not to dare come to her chamber. I can still remember his big, red eyes and wicked smile. The next day, our mother was found strangled in her bedroom. The other dancers who worked with my mother took up the matter with Nanda Maharaj. He merely gave Mahadev a slap on the wrist. All Mahadev had to do was part with a few rings and necklaces. My mother's sahelis (friends) shared this booty. They stole all my mother's earnings as well.

“My brother and I were once again on the brink of poverty. The burden of supporting my family now fell on me. I had no idea how I would do this. The thought of killing my brother and committing suicide came to me, but revenge is a strong motivator. I wanted the man responsible for our fate to pay dearly. I had no idea how I was going to bring down a man with his power and wealth. At that point, our survival was the main task at hand.

“I decided that taking up my mother's line of work was my only option. I figured that, sooner or later, I would cross paths with Mahadev and then have my revenge. I went to a house of ill repute down our street. The old woman who was the head of the house there eyed me from head to toe. She then said that she did not pay her girls too well and that I would do better to work for a friend of hers, a man who lived several miles away. The work her friend would expect would be far easier than what she expected. She asked me to come back to this house early the next day if I was interested.

“When I showed up the following day, a horse-drawn carriage picked me up from her place and took me to this man's secluded residence. A tall, strange woman welcomed me. She led me inside the palatial house. This woman had a very unearthly complexion. It was something I had never seen. She was dark but had a faint bluish tinge to her complexion.”

Chanakya looked at the woman in front of him. She had the faint blue tinge as well. However, an untrained, unsuspecting eye would miss it altogether.

She continued her tale. “As I entered the house, there were several other women inside with the same strange bluish tinge. Then I met the man who would be my employer. He was middle aged and said that I would be well suited for the job. He said that all I had to do was look seductive. The rest, I would learn from the other women. He also said that I must move into his house. He offered to employ my brother in his house as well.

“For the first several months, all I had to do was to learn to dance and look elegant. The older women taught me how to walk, smile and look seductive. I never saw a single man visit this house and wondered why our master paid us. We were fed lavish meals. Then I was given some colored milk. I was given half a glass at first, but then they gradually increased it to several glasses a day. It looked and tasted different each time. It came in several colors.

“The months turned to years and my brother and I were getting older. My master had contacts in high places. He managed to get my brother a job with Nanda Maharaj's army. My brother works for Maharajah Chandragupta's infantry now. I do not see him that often. He does not visit me at all.” Another tear slid down her cheek.

With moist eyes, she continued her tale. “One day, they told me I was ready for my first assignment. I had no idea what to do. I was told that all I had to do was visit some royal officer and entertain him until he took me in his arms and kissed me. I was supposed to let him do anything he wanted.

“I met the man that night. I sang and danced for him and finally he came to me and kissed me. It was hardly a few seconds before he dropped to the floor, dead. This was the first time I had seen anyone die from this close. I was in shock.

“I was taken back to my employer by carriage. He said that I had performed excellently. I did not understand anything then. One of the older women took me into her chamber and explained to me what had happened and what I had become. I had become a Vishakanya, the poison girl. They had fed me poison, first in small doses, and gradually increased its strength until my body would become immune to it. However, anyone who kisses me would die in a few seconds. They still feed me poisons now. They say that one day I will be so lethal that even touching me would be fatal. I had assignments a few times a year. Strangely, I wanted to rejoice in this newfound power.

“I decided it was time to track down my mother's killer. It was easy to find an officer of the throne. I heard from a reliable source that Mahadev visited a young courtesan who lived in the city. I arranged to meet with this woman. She had scars on her face. Those familiar scars I had seen on my mother made my stomach turn. I befriended this lady. She told me that Mahadev visited her a few times every month.

“Fate had delivered Mahadev to me. I gave her a generous bribe and told her that I would take her place when he came by her house the next time. At first she refused, but then agreed as I increased her reward.

“He arrived as expected last night. I had sent his mistress away earlier in the evening. I stood in the darkness of her chambers, waiting patiently for him. I first heard the sound of his carriage. Then I heard footsteps coming towards the house. Then I heard his voice call out for his mistress. Finally, I got a good look at his face.

“He had aged a lot since I had seen him. He had a big belly and his hair was white. He still had the same bloodshot eyes and the same devilish grin. This was going to be the night when Mahadev would pay for what he did to my mother. I felt sick as he walked towards me. I did all I could to stay calm as he took me in his arms and kissed me...” She paused for several moments.

“I got my revenge. He did deserve death, my lord. Your highness, King Chandragupta, and the rest of the kingdom are better off without him.”

Chanakya was touched and impressed. This woman deserved forgiveness. He marveled at her courage. He was speechless for a moment, collecting his thoughts.

“Yes, you have convinced me that you were justified in killing him,” he said. “But now, tell me, what is this sensitive information you have that concerns the kingdom?”

“A few days ago, His Highness Rakshas graced our mansion. He has arranged with my master to have me sent to Maharajah Chandragupta tomorrow night.”

Chankaya considered. This information was more than critical. Indeed, it affected not only the kingdom but also the course of history itself. How was he to deal with Rakshas? Rakshas was late King Nanda's advisor and a brilliant mind. It was unfortunate that Rakshas was hell-bent on avenging his master and was trying to eliminate Chandragupta. Rakshas' plan was to kill Chandragupta and hand the kingdom to King Parvatak, the Mleccha king. Parvatak was known for his tyranny. Giving Parvatak the throne would be like handing the kingdom back to Nanda. Chanakya was not going to let this happen.

Chanakya's decision now would have a mammoth impact on the future of the throne and affect the course of Indian history forever. He instantly knew what had to be done. Rakshas would have to be beaten at his own game. Chanakya faced the serpent woman.

“From now on, you will work for me. I will send word to your employer now. Your first task will be tomorrow. You will still meet a king tomorrow night. King Parvatak. When you arrive at his palace, tell his guards that His Highness Rakshas sent you to entertain His Royal Majesty King Parvatak.”

blog comments powered by Disqus